It’s Whale Season
Whale watching may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of the Garden Route town of Knysna, but maybe it should be! Did you know that between June and November each year, the majestic Southern Right and Humpback Whales migrate to our coastline to have, and nurture, their young. During their stay, we are also so fortunate to see an array of acrobatic displays from these magnificent mammals. Keep reading to find out more about the season and our latest Whale Season Special!
In addition to both the Southern Right and Humpback Whales, our resident Bryde’s Whale can also be seen along with a host of other marine life such as dolphins, seals, seabirds and even the elusive Knysna Seahorse – although these endangered marine animals cannot be viewed by boat we recommend a snorkelling experience or visiting one of the captive conservation efforts.
The Best Knysna Whale Watching
Knysna’s migratory whales can best be seen on a close encounter Whale Watching Tour with Ocean Odyssey Knysna. Embark on an incredible 1.5 – 2 hour trip at 09h30, 12h00 or 15h00 daily and, if the whales play their part, prepare for some incredible sightings. As they are wild animals there is the utmost care taken on approach and plenty of space provided – it is then up to the whales to approach the boat if they choose to do so. Tours leave from the conveniently located Thesen Islands Blue Flag Marina jetty.
Alternatively, many sightings have also been reported from atop the Knysna Heads and Featherbed Nature Reserve so maybe combine a walk or hike with a picnic and some spotting.
What To Pack
- Number one would have to be your camera! That, or a fully charged cell phone is recommended.
- Rubber-soled shoes – as the boat can end up with some sea spray, the deck is not ideal for heels or flip-flops.
- Sunglasses – ocean glare can be bright!
- Warm clothes – it may be beautiful and warm at Knysna Hollow Country Estate but the sea always carries an extra bite so please pack a warm jacket!
- Binoculars – these are optional and very much dependent on personal preference.
For a full list of photo tips, what to look out for, useful tips & information for Knysna Whale Watching, and more, visit the site.
If time in the quaint seaside town of Knysna and some whale watching sounds right up your alley, visit us at Knysna Hollow Country Estate. Our latest special, the Whale Season Package, may be the perfect time to visit! The package includes;
- Accommodation in a Superior Garden Suite for two nights.
- Breakfast daily at Social Eatery.
- Dinner on one evening in Social Eatery including a bottle of Estate Wine between two guests.
- Ocean Odyssey Close Encounter Whale Watching Tour.
All for just R2,570 per person. Children under 12 sharing with parents in same room pay R800 for this package including bed and breakfast. Subject to room type availability. The package is available from 20 September 2019 – 06 October 2019 so email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +27 44 382 5401 to make a booking today!